Pain in the rear…

The new Goodrich braided hose arrives and looks great. It should be a simple mornings work to fit and bleed this up…

First snag! The rear hugger bolts that carry the bracket for the rear brake hose, one of them has seized through bi-metallic corrosion. After using a number of different methods, hammering in an oversized torx bit, when this failed, it did loosen it a bit enough to enable me to get some pliers onto it. One slip and that beautiful swingarm finish would be ruined. Fortunately there were no further issues and the bolt came out.

With the bolt out, the hose is released and replaced with the new one. However I made the error of releasing all the fluid to prevent the possibility of any spillage. As such, pump as I may I’m unable to build up pressure. I’ve tried all techniques. I decide to remove the rear caliper, and check the pistons all work correctly. I should have done this anyway.

After 24 years with at least 20 of those spent standing, it looks a bit corroded. The pistons are fine, nothing more than a clean and regrease, the pin and anti rattle plate however represent a good opportunity to try out the Ultrasonic cleaner.

With no further prep other than 15 minutes in the tank, these is how they come out…

Finally the pistons are shown some light attention and all is as new;

Pads are also cleaned up and it’s time to bolt it back up.

The pedal still cannot build sufficient pressure. After hours spent pumping, I put it down to the master seal. The rebuild parts do not seem to be separately available, fortunately at £62 it’s not unaffordable and the old one had the reservoir seal drying up in any case…

New master cylinder arrives…

Fortunately, this pumps up perfectly and the rear brake pedal is now rock hard and ready to roll!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *